Friday, July 25, 2008

Thing 3 - RSS Feeds

RSS feeds, I've been using for years, already. I am an avid subscriber to NPR (and WPR) podcasts, which I download onto my MP3 player (started with an iPod shuffle, but it put any and all music before my podcasts, so I downgraded to a cheap MP3 player so now I catch up on my favorite radio shows while at the gym, gardening, walking the dog [these must be my hobbies]).

At one point, I even subscribed to some podcasts from some medical journals, thinking that there may be some work-related application. But the casts were dull as mud, and I tired of the project.

As for web pages I check regularly, I do the news, but hardly want to see every update to that page. It would be nice to discover some interesting blogs to check regularly, something to allow me to feel tuned in and connected to those things that are important to me. But that takes time. Right now, I only need to develop the skills to use RSS feeds, and to get links to interesting material onto my blog.

So, what to subscribe to? Oh how I wish I had all day. And that I wanted to include ALL of my interests on my reader. I decided to cut to the most practical and ideally somehow related to some aspect of my profession - I scanned quite a few other 23 things participants’ blogs and looked at the RSS feeds they subscribed to. Or I subscribed to some 23 things participant blogs that I found to be active and interesting. And I subscribed to the one person I know with a blog on the system (of course, her blog is active and interesting).

This will be an ongoing project, as I take these 23 things, and more broadly, the 2.0 skills that I learn into my real life.

No comments: