Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing 2 - Library 2.0

lToday one of my colleagues Chris made a presentation to my department on the subject of Library 2.0. I have been reading and thinking about this subject (and trying to find the time to read more - but that's another posting), but not putting anything into print. Instead of trying to do more research, I think I'll summarize my colleague, who has taught a course to librarians on this subject. Then I can move on to the many tools that we will be covering, and that, really, is why I'm here.

Chris started with one major point - that Library 2.0 is all about interaction and collaboration. And that all of us are probably already using Library 2.0 tools, without even knowing it. We have shared databases that we use together, interactive meeting software, chat tools that we use for quick messages among colleagues. These tools are regular tools, things we use daily, and not some great scary unknown.

With these palliative thoughts in mind, Chris moved on to other tools. The things we may have only heard about. She gave us a quick tour of Google docs, the tool she has used to build the presentation slides she was using. This tool, hosted 'out on the web', can be used to collaborate on documents with others, anywhere on line - which brought up the caveat - not behind a firewall - an issue to keep in mind in the corporate environment. We quickly stepped into the concept of blogs, reading them, organizing them, keeping up with them using RSS feeds. Lots of people in my group read blogs regularly, but only a few of us (two) have a blog ( I was so proud to raise my hand). Chris quickly built a blog, right before our eyes, using Blogger! Her point - easy and accessible to all of us.

Chris quickly stepped through some other cool tools - flicker, wikis, wikipedia, our in-house wiki tool Maven, and then into the social networking sites. She discussed Facebook briefly, then showed us the 'professional' networking tool, LinkedIn. With fine finesse, she showed us the LinkedIn page of our highly networked boss. Oohs filled the room.

So, Library 2.0 is clearly already here - in my own back yard. But I'm even more inspired by all those tools that I haven't used that I want to dip my toes into. I have been motivated to learn them, and this 23 things on a stick is a structured opportunity for me to play with them. Onwards.

And, thanks Chris!


Addendum -

The course description for Chris' course earlier this summer:
Library 2.0 and Social Networking
This course will examine the advent of social networking tools, the creation of online collaboration and communities via those tools and their adoption by libraries as well as the rise of Library 2.0 thinking, a service philosophy born out of discussions of Web 2.0 and participatory library services. Students will experience an immersive learning environment via blogs, wikis, IM and social networking sites. We will discuss the definitions of Library 2.0, examine the tools and examine what this shift means for libraries in the 21st Century.

No comments: