Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thing 11 - Tagging and Del.icio.us

The synchronicity of this tool, Del.icio.us and an expressed need in a work meeting today is pretty amazing. I was in a meeting with people who will all be representing my library organization at a two-day conference. We are grouped in pairs, and each pair takes a three hour shift, and we'll need to be able to access several links to demonstrate tools to booth visitors. We'll be using one shared computer, and we will each log on to this computer. Since we won't be on out own computers, we won't have our bookmarks.

Caveat - I need a social networking tool which functions behind my company's firewall. And I just realized that my internal library web page has a front page which I can customize with my favorite tools - like a personal bookmark list within our library website. Is this some similar social bookmarking tool (without the ability to make my own labels)?

Enter Del.icio.us, or another bookmarking tool (I want to try citeulike, which seems like it may be more academic. And understanding how a tool can be more academic, may another tool be more political, or more humorous? Or more flirty? Or since the tool is used by so many, those differences are mediated by following the tags, and the taggers that appeal to me?)

Back to this social bookmarking tool, I am not currently on my own computer, so I don't want to add any links now, but I do want to try this soon.

No comments: