Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thing 17 -- ELM Productivity Tools

I spent some time exploring a few of these databases. I had a lot of fun, searching for articles that interest me in Ebsco's MasterFile Premier - fun subjects, rather than my work-a-day searches.

I tried to set up the alert to deliver to my GoogleReader, and following the instructions in 23 Things News, Issue 8. I was able to get a delivery, but it didn't seem to be related to my search parameters. I think it was somehow the most recent input to the database, but not subject limited. Furthermore, when I tried to open the links, I had to put in by library card number again. If I worked in a public library, this might go more smoothly, but I got tired of the hassle.

I am amazed by the breadth and depth of the databases, and that they're available to me, a Minnesotan, in my home. A few years back when I had a job at MPL, these resources were only available in the library, so this is quite an improvement.

Finally, I set up my Google Reader account back in thing #3 - RSS feeds, I was hoping I'd be able to keep up with those other blogs I selected that I found interesting. I'll play around a bit now to see if I can get something on THIS blog so I can see the most recent entries from those blogs. I barely have time to work on this blog, let alone go over to GoogleReader to look for something else to read. I'll report back if I find anything good (or you may find a new item off in the margins of this blog . . .).

No comments: