Friday, September 12, 2008

Thing 20 - Libraries and Social Networks

I chose to try Facebook, and enjoyed poking around. I realized that one can click into a group, and then back out just as easily. I feel a little bit guilty signing up, logging in, joining up, and then not being sure how much of a contributor I'll really be.

I wasn't able to find many 'friends' - I recognized people from college, but not enough to be 'friends'. My brother-in-law was extracted from my email ( I have very few names, only family, in my yahoo email account). So I 'friended' him, and it will be interesting to check in and see what his page looks like. The whole family seems to use the same email, so maybe they will all be there (they're all in their photo).

I joined two groups, the 23 things on a stick group, and the Library 2.0 Interest Group. Lots of information on the 2.0 group. And I added to the wall. I don't know if all social networks are like this, but I felt quite adequate with no photo in Facebook.

Ultimately, I think I'd like to join LinkdIn. A couple of colleagues from work have mentioned that they are there, and my recent professional organization PIUG (Patent Information Users Group) has a group (or whatever they call it). I'll have to join that one too.

I haven't yet figured out if social networks make life easier, or more difficult for the introverted. I should search on that question the next time I have an opportunity search ELM databases (see, I really learned something !).

Maybe I should have searched for an introverts group on Facebook. Next time. . .

No comments: