Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thing 23 - Final Thoughts

Whew, I'm done. Inspired by the deadline, I've met it.

I just removed from my blog the countdown clock I had added a few weeks back (and so much work it took to get that item working). I replaced the clock with a jpg picture of a ticket saying that I'd finishd 23 things - and it looks great!

This is proof that I have learned a whole lot in this project, enough to make minor changes to graphics, to be able to make the blog aesthetically pleasing, at least to myself.

I'm glad I pushed through to the end of this program. Quite recently, we had to log on to the 23 Things ning, one of many social networking sites (I'm not sure how they all differ exactly, but that's a question to answer later). All who join are presumably 23 things on stick contributors, and activly trying to fisnish up. Sending a note to another member was one of the assignments. My person wrote back to me, and I intend to reply. So- I actually have been 'social' in the social networking tool. I didn't just 'observe' this phenomenon !

As I wrote in my survey response, I was really impressed with the Common Craft videos, and the most useful was the one which described wikis, and when they were a good idea, and when a blog or other tool is better. It raised the question: What ARE we trying to accomplish with a particluar tool, and is it the best one? What incentive do my intended users have to log on and participate?

With 23-things, it has been self interest - an excitement to learn. My users have to get somthing out beyond the joy of using the tool.

No comments: