Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thing 15 - Online Games and Libraries

Well, I'm about to try the Puzzle Pirates option. I spent a few minutes looking at the Second Life info. Looks quite involved. If I didn't have a job and a family, it might be quite enticing.

The Puzzle Pirates looks much more limited. Much like my son's experiences with Club Penguin - another interactive game system. He's just ten, so we don't allow him to get a membership, so he's not allowed to spend his points and decorate his igloo, or 'live' the higher life. http://play.clubpenguin.com/

I have played a few times on his password (bad mom?), and even earned him a few points from being pulled in an inner tube behind a boat, and by racing other player down an icy hill. I had the experience of talking to other players, interacting, and making brief buddies. It's an odd experience, playing virtual skill games against others. I'm curious to see how different this pirate game is.

Oops, I just hit a glitch. I'm using the home computer, and have previously agreed to not download any software. Seems like a different version of Java is required. I'll need to get back to this post (putting off playing a game - - this cannot be procrastination!).

I now have another computer at the coffee shop, and have had no Java issues, but now my antivirus software is stealing all my fun. I now accept the fact that my gaming 'thing' won't be quite as fun as I had hoped. I need to throw in the towel, and call this a 'blog entry'.

No comments: