Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Thing 9 - Online Collaboration Tools

I liked the Zoho Writer better than Google Docs, because the Zoho Writer link worked for me (and has a funner name). It was fun to read the changes and edits.

I wish I had read ahead and completed all these little communication tasks (emailing to request a couple of invitations) months ago (when I barely had time for thing #2). But to stop now, and send an email, so that I can actually edit, then comment - it's a bit of a delay.

Seeing all these multiple edits (Zoho in particular), I imagine that each editor has to be able to recognize their own edits, which probably accounts for all the colors and funny widget/icon things.

This makes me recall that I read that a scientist has developed an improvement to the wiki system such that an editor/contributor is thoroughly and accurately identified, and that anything that person writes can be absolutely attributed to that person (so someone else can't enter comments on behalf of someone else).

Well, I jumped through all the hoops for the Google Docs, and found that editing the document worked just fine. It was fun to edit.

Since there are more degrees of separation for the Zoho product, it was much more frustrating to log on to. The log on page suggested that I could use either my Yahoo password or my Google password, but neither seemed to work. I finally got into Zoho, but then couldn't bring up the document that I wanted to edit. Grrr!

I now have passwords all over the place, and am not sure which ones are active where. So, I never actually got into the Zoho doc, which sounded more fun based on the name. I guess you can't judge a product by its name. Or, those products which fall under the same banner or password system aer much easier to incorporate into ones life.

No comments: