Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thing 21 - Beyond MySpace - Other Social Networks

I have heard about Gather.com for ages - as I listen to MPR/NPR often. I hadn't realized the goal is for publishers to harness social networks around writing/publishing. I guess that observation leads to a larger question - who benefits/hopes to benefit from any of these sites?

I joined the 23 things Ning, was refreshed by the observation that we all enter our full names. On our blogs, many leave cryptic names (myself included), but the social networks request full names, and it seems we comply. Now, in Ning (and Facebook, last thing), most of use were fully identified.

23 Things on a Sting - Ning Page

I also added the Ning badge to the right side of this blog. Check it out!

I was getting ready to leave comments for another member, when I realized that others had much more information about themselves on their profiles. I don't have even a photo close at hand. I added a bit more content, then sent a note to a recent visitor. Wonder if I'll ever hear back. I'd better check back, just to see if anyone writes to me!

I was filling out my profile, and found myself blabbing on about web 2.0 in my workplace. Seems like a better addition here: In my workplace, Web 2.0 is not far away. We have corporate initiative to use wikis, blogs, and even social networking to the corporation. I think people are watching to see what happens, but it's quite evident that the library need to be involved. Needs to be prominent. Available.

I may clip that later and place it in one of the last blogs required. Thoughts on Library 2.0.

Anyway, I also joined Flixter, as I enjoy movies. Immediately, I was asked to choose a background graphic, and the choices seemed aimed at teenage girls. Fans of movie mags. That may be the hook, which seems to miss me. I agreed to have reviews sent to my email, so I'll see what that yields.

No comments: